WHAT’S IN THIS EDITION?
I hope the season is traveling well for all players, coaches, managers and families.
This newsletter is packed full of content – lots around the club to be proud of.
- Bogan Bingo
- Director’s Message
- Upcoming events
- Wanted: Indoor coordinator
- Play the Whistle award
- State and Wildcat representation
- #Be More Bulldog awards
- Around the Grounds
Our principal fund-raising event for the junior section in on Saturday Jul 21st at 7.30 pm at the clubrooms.
It’s an 18+ event guaranteed to be a cracking night, with lots of fun and prizes. Come dressed in your favourite bogan outfit, crack open a tinny and off you go!
Tickets are $25 each (or $225/table of 10). You can let your team manager, coordinator or me (firstname.lastname@example.org) how many tickets you want, and we can get them to you.
Alternatively, buy them on line using the following link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bogan-bingo-tickets-46928249658?aff=utm_source%3Deb_email%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dnew_event_email&utm_term=eventurl_text
Come and support the club in your best bogan attire!
FROM THE JUNIOR COMMITTEE
Hope it has managed to be a relatively restful holiday period for you all- no late Friday nights or early Saturday mornings! Training resumes this week for all age groups, games back on next weekend.
As well as applauding on the field achievements of kids, we would like to continue building towards the future. Our fundraising event (Bogan Bingo) on July 21st is to help us establish a post- and pre- season academy, which we will give details of later in the season. This academy will focus on skill development and game awareness, outside of the normal team-based trainings. This will be open for all kids in the 10+ age division and catering for a range of skills.
We also would like all teams to donate to our winter food drive for the West Welcome Wagon. This is a terrific community initiative, and let’s see which age group can donate the most! One week remaining……
Looking forward to seeing all the kids back next week (and F2 is fixed!). Collectively, I think we should be proud of how our kids are playing and conducting themselves on the field- they are great ambassadors for our club.
Caroline (on behalf of the junior committee)
July 21st: Bogan Bingo from 7.30 pm
August 4th: Family Fun Day all morning, along with Fair Go! Round.
August 22nd: Under 6 and 8 presentation night
September 12th: Under 10s presentation night (TBC)
September 14th: U12-18 presentation night (TBC)
‘Play the Whistle’ award: Under 12 Shield
Our play the whistle award went to the Under 12 girls shield team for rounds 5-9.
The prize this time were Bulldog Backyard tickets to Hawthorn vs Western Bulldogs.
Sorry the game didn’t have a better outcome for the Doggies!
Volunteers for Summer Indoor
We need 1-2 interested people to help run the indoor program over Term 4. There are usually 1-2 teams in each age group that play at VU, Footscray plus the club championships.
Please let me know if you are potentially interested in this – or in coaching a team for the season or club champs, Caroline (email@example.com or 0411155184)
School Sport Victoria Reps
Congratulation to our four Footscray players selected in the Victorian school under 16s team to play at the national tournament in the Gold Coast starting August 4th.
Alannah Hibbard, Jade Robertson, Kean Weerasekera, Josh D’Arcy
The Junior State Championships were held on the first week of the school holidays, both at State Netball Hockey Centre and Footscray. This is the premier junior hockey event in Victoria, and showcases the up and coming superstars of the future. This year, all grand finals were live streamed, meaning more people got to see the great action.
Our club was incredibly well represented and the results show what a wonderful future our club has! Congratulations also to Geoff Peacock (coach of the victorious Under 15 team) and Alannah Hibbard (selected to umpire the Under 13 girls grand final).
Under 13 GIRLS 3rd
Madeleine Bezzobs, Zoe Brown, Isabel Butler, Zoe Hibbard, Eleni Kikidis, Georgia Kikidis, Eden Passmore (GK), Maddisun Passmore, Elena Serovski, Kate Thomas
Under 13 BOYS 8th
Caleb Fowler, James Gale, Oskar Hayes, David Lienert, Adrian McAlinden, Findley Nolan-James, Coen Sykes
Under 15 GIRLS 1st
Bridgette de la Mere, Josie Erbsland, Olivia Marshall, Laura Milford (GK), Jade Robertson, Charlotte Whiteside, Ashleigh Winter
Under 15 BOYS 1st
Ewan Bezzobs, Harry Brazil, Will Harper, Sam Komp, Daniel Lienert, Sam O’Brien
Under 17 GIRLS 2nd
Helayna Braiden, Tate Brazil, Jessica Campbell (GK), Alyssa Janke, Ania Kosowski, Georgia Nelson, Zoe Thomas
Under 17 BOYS 3rd
Joshua Bradfield (GK), Josh D’Arcy (GK), Lachlan D’Arcy, Kean Weerasekera
#Be More Bulldog Award
Under 12 Girls District: Milly Holding
Under 12 Boys Pennant: Hunter McNamara
Under 12 Girls Shield: Ella De Zoete
Under 12 Boys Shield: Oskar Hayes
Under 14 Mixed District: Aaron Sinclair
Under 14 Girls Pennant: Sara El-Khodor
Under 14 Girls Shield: Maddie Bezzobs
Under 14 Mixed Shield: Tom De Zoete
Under 16 Mixed Shield: Valli Mc Keich
Under 16 Mixed District: Sol Campbell
Under 16 Girls Shield: Olivia Marshall
The Be More Bulldog award is for the player that shows most teamwork, dedication and work rate. We’re fortunate to have been supported by Grill’d in Yarraville, and all these awesome players get a free Burger!
Around The Grounds
Under 18 Mixed District: Current position 3rd. This team has begun to gel on the field as well as off over the past few weeks, and hopefully can continue to push towards a finals place at the end of the season.
- Mixed A Shield. Current position 8th. This is probably the toughest division in Victoria, and our boys have done themselves proud despite not notching a win. Hopefully, by continuing to work on team play they can put together some wins later in the season.
- Girls Shield. Current position 3rd. These girls have executed the coach’s game plan and have been working very hard on structure throughout the season. They will need to work hard to figure in the finals, but expect to see them there in the early stages.
- Mixed District. Current position 4th. There have been mixed results for this team, and although they currently have a 2:4 win:loss ratio, they managed to keep the previously undefeated St Bernards to a draw. Again, expect them to figure in the finals.
- Girls Pennant. Current Position 7th. These girls have been playing without a dedicated GK for the entire season, so the result is a credit to them and their coach. Always happy and enjoying their hockey, we hope the results will start to reward their efforts.
- Girls Shield. Current position 1st. Currently undefeated, this team is packed with talent, and the girls are definitely the team to beat in this competition! They will need to work hard on their team game to make sure the competition doesn’t catch up to them, but we hope they figure in the grand final (no pressure girls)!
- Mixed A Shield. Current position 8th. These boys have been a bit unlucky not coming away with points in a few of their games. Hopefully they can improve their position on the ladder and overcome some injuries to key players in the next few weeks. The future is looking bright though for this group of boys, and hopefully success is not too far away.
- Mixed District. Current position 9th. These boys have played with the hearts of lions, and have played 3 games less than the other teams in this comp (so may make up ground with equalisation). We hope they can put together some wins in the next few rounds to validate their hard work, and reward the overall improvement in their skills.
- Girls District. Current position 2nd. These girls have steadily improved with their skills over the season, and their results reflect this. The last round they defeated their arch rivals Southern United in an awesome display of teamwork!
- Boys Pennant. Current position 3rd. The boys are beginning to gel and play some good hockey putting them in a great position to make a charge to the top of the ladder.
- Girls Shield. Current position 5th. The hard work has been rewarded with some recent good results, and they are matching it with the best of the teams.
- Boys B Shield. Current position 2nd. This team is the surprise packet of the year, and playing some amazing team hockey. It’s great to see the skills coming to the fore!
Under 10s HV
This competition is a great training ground for the future superstars of our club and so the future is looking bright!
- Girls (Blue # 1 and Red # 2 on the ladder). It’s a battle of the Bulldogs in this competition, with the Blue team just edging out the Reds at the moment. There are no finals in this competition, but they are all winners in our eyes!
- Boys (Blue #1 and Red # 3 on the ladder). Again, our teams are up the top but just split by arch rivals Brunswick! Let’s hope they can hold for top 2 finish.
Under 10s Super League
The Super League teams finished up the first half of the season with a gala day at Brunswick Hockey Club. Our Emerald, Purple, Red and Golden teams all had a blast with free sausage sizzles as well. Thanks for the hospitality, and we look forward to seeing you all back on the refurbished F2 ground in term 3.
The first 8 rounds of Super 8’s have been outstanding, with some excellent demonstration of trapping, passing and low flat stick tackles. Children are starting to use their skills to dodge their opposition by moving the ball left and right. They are understanding more about the roles of attackers and defenders and only one person from each team going in for the ball. The Super 8’s are enjoying a rest over the school holidays. We will recommence Wednesday 18th July 5.30pm @ F1! Over term 2 we hope to take a team photo on a night when all team members are there and wearing the correct uniform. Reminder to wear black shorts/skort/leggings and a black long sleeve top under their Super 8’s polo shirt! We’ll also be organising a pizza night – watch this space!
What an improvement we’ve seen in our 6 and under superstars over the first term. Thanks to Ania and J-A, they have really been mastering the basics and having a blast! Everything starts back on the 18th July!
Pictured: U10 Super League
Questions or Feedback?
Thanks for reading through this entire newsletter!
If you have any questions, feel free to ask your team manager, or a member of the Junior Committee.
Junior Director (Caroline Mansfield):
Under 16 coordinator (Simon de la Mere):
Under 14 coordinator (Leonard Robbins) AND MPIO officer:
Under 12 coordinator (Peter Sykes):
Under 10 coordinator (Vicky Mannix):
Under 8 coordinator (Nicole Virtuoso):
Under 6 coordinator (Lynette Gilchrist):