In a year when many Victorian Premier League mens teams were searching for replacement coaches, FHC has been very fortunate to secure the services of the highly experienced Jarrod Lester to coach our men for at least the next two seasons. After a decade of PL coaching, Jarrod took the 2018 season off to re-charge his batteries, and is now very keen to “help continue the growth of the current group”. Here is some background to our new Premier League Mens Coach:
- Jarrod began his hockey as a 6 year old at the Reservoir Hockey Club, after watching his cousin (four time Olympian) Jay Stacy in a higher age group.
- He took to the sport instantly and became a regular Vic junior representative (U13/14/16). Jarrod also represented Victoria in the U19 Indoor titles, winning the Australian Championship in both years.
- Jarrod made his State League 1 (Premier League) debut for Reservoir at 17.
- Jarrod moved to Doncaster in 2001, playing 2 seasons there before retiring.
- Jarrod umpired at the AHL National Championships for 10 years, and officiated at 9 mens SL1 / PL Grand Finals.
- Jarrod’s senior coaching began looking after the Geelong mens SL2 team in 2006.
- Between 2008 and 2017 (10 years) Jarrod coached the MCC Mens PL team.
Other Interesting Facts:
- For the past 10 years Jarrod has worked for Lecky’s Electrical Wholesale, and is currently manager of their Coburg store.
- Jarrod lives in Thornbury.
- Jarrod’s interests outside of hockey include travel (particularly to South East Asia), and playing golf. He goes on an annual golfing holiday to Hua Hin in Thailand, and
- Jarrod’s perceptions of the Footscray Hockey Club ‘from afar’ are: “A very welcoming club. It has a real “community hub” feel to it. It’s great to see so many families participating whenever I visit FHC. The elite hockey program seems to be building well, and I’m excited to now be part of that.”
Welcome to our Club Jarrod and best wishes in helping take our men to the top of the mens PL tree.